Thursday, September 4, 2014

3 DAYS POST-OP

   At home and given a prescription for Percocet. The percocet has worked fairly well for me, decreasing my pain from an 8/10 to a 5/10. I have been elevating my foot whenever I am in bed. I have been instructed to "use it but don't abuse it" (referring to my left foot of course). So essentially this means to rest and elevate foot as much as possible but still get up every couple of hours to go to the bathroom/get food. Only doing what is essential. Also important at this time, continuing to ICE liberally, 20 min. on 20 min. off. It really does make a difference with pain and discomfort. The swelling of the foot plus all of the wrapping you saw in the picture I posted yesterday can make the affected foot pretty uncomfortable. Walking has gotten easier with each time I have done it.

   I've been doing assigned leg exercises every hour I am in bed to help prevent clots. Let me tell you friends, I've seen lots of clots in the hospital and they suck. Don't skimp on the exercises! The other thing I have been very careful about is tightening my boot properly when I get up to walk. The boot has a large heel so you cannot walk around barefoot or in a flip flop on your good foot. If you are a guy, an athletic running shoe will do the trick. If you are a girl and you want more options besides a running shoe, You can try a small wedge or a clog.

   This is the boot!


 I bought these comfy Teva sandals and they ended up being the perfect height for my boot. I hate shoes so this is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment