Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Week 7 and 8

   I was unable to make my 6 week appointment so I got to wear my beautiful boot for an extra week! I've been continuing to stretch my big toe both passively (using my hand) and actively. There is a lot of stiffness in it and it definitely is sore when I exercise it. Sleeping without the boot feels wonderful! My toe isn't so sensitive anymore so the sheets and blanket don't bother me.
  At my week 7 appointment I was given the go ahead by my doctor to start weening off the boot. First for an hour a day and then increase an hour each day. I did this for a week and then completely took off the boot week 8. My foot is somewhat sore when I walk but it feels so good to walk normally. Because of the muscle atrophy in my calf and foot it feels like my leg is going to give out when I walk on it so I'm limping a little bit. I tried standing on my tip toes to test myself and was unable to do so with my left foot, too much pain and stiffness. My foot does swell mildly so I have had trouble finding any new shoes that fit. The surgery increased my shoe size from an 8.5 to a 9.
   I am trying to find shoes that have arch support as my doctor said the biggest reason I have bunions is from flat feet. I have been on the hunt for shoes that will support my foot and prevent pronating. With all the swelling, I've been unable to find a dress shoe for work. I'm limited to sneakers and sandals right now.

         


Did a bit of research to find the best scar minimizing solution. I've been applying this solution twice a day and am supposed to continue for 3-4 months. Will continue to post pictures and see if it really helps!


I was hoping that I wouldn't have any trace of a bunion on my left foot but as you can see from the pictures above, there is still a bump there. Not only that but my big toe has shifted over quite a bit, which I also don't like. From the many other blogs I have read, a lot of people have the same results. My doctor told me he left a slight bend in the toe so that it wouldn't be stick straight and then none of my shoes would fit. Makes sense so I'm ok with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment