Sunday, August 31, 2014

Preparing For Your Temporary Immobility


GETTING AROUND AFTER SURGERY:
  • I highly recommend a knee rider. My sister has had foot surgery and made very good use of the knee rider. Crutches are difficult to maneuver and take a lot of upper arm strength - not me, lol. Although the doctor has encouraged me to bear weight on my surgery foot, the knee rider is helpful for going longer distances. 
  • Before my surgery, I printed out a DMV handicap application for a temporary handicap placard. My surgeon signed it right after surgery and I was able to go to the DMV and get my placard the day I went home. This is going to be very helpful as I have have school, work, and will likely have errands to run. 
  • If you don't already have a shoe with at least a one inch base you will need this. The boot has some added height to it and you don't want to have to limp all lopsided. 
SUPPLIES:
  • large pack of water bottles to keep by the bed (pain meds will dehydrate and cause constipation)
  • Some sort of TV tray stand to keep by your bed while you are on bed rest. 
  • Miralax - almost no exercise, narcotics for a week = constipation. Miralax is something we use in the hospital quite often. I have found that it is pretty gentle and usually takes a few doses to start working. 
  • Optional - dramamine. I get nauseated very easily. Norco, vicodin, percocet are notorious for causing nausea.
  • Loose clothing from the waist down. I'm obviously not going to be slipping into my skinny jeans for awhile. Unfortunately I'm a skinny jeans kinda gal so I got a few loose workout pants and plan to make use of all my dresses and shorts. You aren't supposed to remove the boot at all for at least the first 2 weeks and then it's up to the doctor to tell you whether it's ok to take off for changing. To me, it's just not worth the risk of falling or doing something to mess up my foot!
  • Easy food to grab or cook! I got lots of fruit, sandwich stuff, packaged frozen/non-frozen foods. I also have a nutribullet which I plan to shove lots of veggies into. Fiber!
  • Lots of pillows (I use 3 good sized fluffy ones) to keep your leg elevated
  • Things to entertain you! I have an ipad, magazines, homework, etc.
  • Some method of protecting the boot while bathing. If you google "surgical boot" shower covers you will find many. After reading mixed reviews about several different types of covers I decided to go with medium sized trash bags and water proof medical tape (from Target). I wanted to make sure whatever I get fits over the boot and is comfortable.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I am having the same surgery in about a week. I love your article and that you are sharing advice to all of us! Doctors seem to provide liitle insight on what to expect and how to prepare, sp thank you again!
    Can you please share with me a list of everything I should buy? I purchased the shower bag, got pillows to keep my foot elevated, got dulcipax though will exchamge it for what you suggested, I bought ice packs, but I did not buy a roller device to get around on that foot...it would be great to get a full list so I can be best prepared.
    Thank you!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, as far as a complete list of what to have prior to surgery I'd say my above list is pretty much everything I would get. The only thing I didn't end up needing was nausea medication. Having already had the surgery I can point out a few musts. The comfy loose clothing is quite important since you will have that big boot to contend with and slipping clothes over it is just not easy. Even when I was allowed to take the boot off for very short periods of time my foot was so tender and the hassle of trying to get the boot off just to put it back on again was a pain. I just had pants and shorts that fit right over it!

      The knee rider is not absolutely necessary. I found it very helpful because I went back to work a few weeks after the surgery. If you don't plan to be walking around much you will be fine. Every store I went to I just used their mobile carts. Oh and the handicap placard is something I would encourage you to get. When other people drive you around or you drive it is just so nice to not have to park far away.

      Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions! And of course good luck on your upcoming surgery. I hope it all goes well for you!

      Delete
  2. Oh I did forget to mention the shower seat that i bought for the second surgery - so so worth it. It was such a pain to get into the tub after surgery. I couldn't stand of course so it was just a logistical nightmare trying to bathe. I also replaced my shower head with a removable one which is about $15-20 bucks. Not completely necessary, just convenient. When I didn't have an actual shower chair I did just use a small step ladder and sat on it! But trust me the last thing you will want to do when you need to bathe is have to crawl into the tub!

    ReplyDelete