Friday, June 12, 2015

Second foot surgery - Right foot

   Well I took the dive and just got my right foot done as well. Bye bye last bunion! Had my surgery on Tuesday and it is now Friday. No real pictures interesting pictures to show as the wrapping is still on for the next two weeks.

The "no" is to prevent accidental surgery on wrong foot:D, not a tattoo

   However I do have some major toe swelling as you can see above. I am taking Norco this time instead of Percocet, which I like a lot better because I don't get a nauseated. I am taking it about every 5-6 hours while awake. I haven't gotten up much, just to use the bathroom and grab food. I've been icing my foot as much as possible. It's a lot easier this time around since I already know what to expect.













  I wasn't sure I would even bother about blogging this foot but I

thought it might be a good idea in case anything is different this time around. To prep for this surgery I did the same things as in my first blog posts. However, this time I did get a shower with a removable handle and an actual shower seat. Worth the splurge, let me tell you. Getting down into a tub with your boot sticking out really tests your core ab abilities. After laying in bed for a week, you won't have great abs anymore. Or like me, you never did in the first place.

   I am really restless this time around. I would definitely be going out of the house today if sheer pain didn't stop me.



9 comments:

  1. How many screws did you get in your left foot and right foot? How soon post-op were you using scarguard and was it helpful? Did you ever fall on your surgical foot/put heavy weight on your surgical foot that caused bruising? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a single screw in each foot. I had what is called a chevron osteotomy - it's a common bunionectomy procedure. I started using the Scarguard as soon as the steristrips fell off of the incision site - which is about 4 weeks postop. I'm actually planning to try something different on this foot, I bought a silicone based patch and I'm going to see how that compared to the Scarguard. But I think my scar looks great at about 10 months out. I'm very pleased with the results. As far as falling on my foot, I haven't had any accidents. However, the first several weeks postop I had swelling of my foot and bruising on all of my toes. I am really consistent about keeping my foot elevated. Even now, at about 4 weeks, if I'm not working or doing something important, I am elevating my foot. It helps a lot with reducing swelling and making sure the wound heals well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your response. I really enjoy your posts so please keep us updated on this surgery, too. :) Since you had a screw in both of your surgical feet, were you actually walking on your surgical foot immediately post-op (for either/both surgeries)? Wasn't it painful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was walking the day after my surgery. I was part of a research program so I was required to stay in bed the first day of surgery. However, with the typical outpatient bunionectomy procedure you will go home the same day and be walking, most likely, only to use the restroom and grab food if you don't have help! I walk only in the boot - I can bear weight on the foot as long as it is in the boot! Yes, it was quite painful the first 3-5 days. However, one thing that really helps is to stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain medication prescribed every 4-6 hrs. Also, keeping the leg elevated as much as possible.
      I am a bit behind on posts this time but plan on catching up tonight! Thanks for reading, hope it's helpful to you:)

      Delete
  3. i'm having surgery in 2 days . austin cut and tailor bunion removed . thanks for info . im scared but the pain is killing me. keep posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Eve! This surgery is definitely a big deal. To me it was definitely with the surgery. I actually never completed my blog in regards to my second foot because it ended up being such a similar experience. I did want to write a follow up about the long term effects and pros/cons of the surgery. Now that I am 1-2 yrs out I will plan on doing this.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephanie,

    I’m 4 weeks post op with a bunionectomy removal from my right foot. What kind of shoes would you recommend? I’m suppose to start wearing tennis shoes but my foot is still sensitive!
    Also, do you have problems with your screws? Before your 2nd surgery were you able to run/bend without pain or complications?
    Thanks,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tasha, as far as shoes, I had swelling and found that my foot was also quite sensitive. The athletic shoes that I found that fit best were Saucony or Asics. They have the widest shoe options. If you are looking for something cuter than I highly recommend The Walking Company. They have the best brands for supportive footwear. I buy all work and leisure shoes there. One thing I have done at my orthopedic's recommendation is to buy special shoe inserts that were fitted to my feet in his office. I wear them in all my shoes, even dress shoes.

      My screws don't really bother me but I do get pain to the area once in awhile. It took months for my foot to feel normal again but I have full range of motion with no discomfort in both feet. Prior to either surgery I definitely had foot pain with running. Now I don't:)

      Delete
    2. also I might add that I wasn't allowed to go without the boot until week 7/8! So wasn't even wearing regular shoes yet.

      Delete